Where to stay
Hotel accommodation options in Berkeley are limited. Please make your reservations as soon as possible.
The following recommended hotels are located within walking distance of International House:
- The Graduate Berkeley (8-minute walk), 2600 Durant Ave
- 12% discount available for CP2OA attendees. Use offer code OAF18 or this direct booking link.
- Berkeley City Club (15-minute walk), 2315 Durant Ave
- Discounted rate of $170/night available for CP2OA attendees. Please call the City Club directly (+1-510-848-7800) and mention Choosing Pathways to Open Access.
- Bancroft Hotel (4-minute walk), 2680 Bancroft Hotel
- Hotel Shattuck Plaza (24-minute walk), 2086 Allston Way
If you choose to do a private rental from Airbnb and other sites, search for listings in these nearby neighborhoods:
- North Berkeley
- Downtown Berkeley
Getting to Berkeley
The airports closest to Berkeley are San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and Oakland International Airport (OAK).
Take the BART connector train to Coliseum Station, and then board a Richmond train to Downtown Berkeley. The BART connector is free, but you will need to purchase a ticket upon exiting in order to board the train at Coliseum.
Approximate travel time: 50 minutes (including connector). Cost: $9.30.
Read more about taking BART from OAK.
Follow signs in the terminal to Airtrain and take a Red Line train to BART. Airtrain is free but you will need to purchase a BART ticket on the platform where you exit. Board a Downtown San Francisco/Pittsburg Bay Point train. Transfer at 19th Street Oakland to a Richmond-bound train and get off at Downtown Berkeley.
Approximate travel time: 1 hour (excluding Airtrain). Cost: $10.30.
Read more about taking BART from SFO.
Note that BART trains stop running around midnight. For detailed schedules and route-planning, see www.bart.gov.
Car, taxi, and rideshare
- From OAK: Travel time is approximately 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. Estimated taxi fare: $40-50. Estimated rideshare cost: $25-30.
- From SFO: Travel time is approximately 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. Estimated taxi fare: $80-100+. Estimated rideshare cost: $45-50.
- Bayporter Express (shared passenger shuttle van). Approximate fares from Berkeley are $29 to OAK and $28 to SFO.
- Super Shuttle. Fares vary by service type. See website for details.
Getting to International House
The street address for International House is 2299 Piedmont Ave, Berkeley, CA, 94720. The cross street is Bancroft. International House is located at the southeastern corner of campus just east of the Berkeley Law School. View campus map.
International House is uphill from the Downtown Berkeley BART station. On foot from Downtown Berkeley, it will take approximately 25 minutes walking through campus or up Bancroft Avenue. I-House visitor information.
UC Berkeley Bear Transit daytime campus shuttles go directly to International House from Downtown Berkeley BART. Shuttle service is available 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM every 30 minutes. The fare for non-UCB affiliates is $1 per ride. All shuttle vehicles are equipped with wheelchair lifts. View shuttle map and timetables.
Between 7:30 PM and 3:00 AM, free Night Shuttle service is available from I-House to Downtown Berkeley BART and points in between via the South Side line. Shuttles run approximately every 15 minutes. Shuttle vehicles can be dispatched upon request for bicycle or ADA service. View shuttle map and timetables.
Berkeley city buses are operated by AC Transit. Lines 36 and 52 are available from Downtown Berkeley and stop in front of International House (intersection of Piedmont Ave. and Bancroft Ave.). Cash fares (exact change required) are $2.35 per ride ($1.15 seniors/disabled). View fares. Real-time departures are available on the AC Transit website and via smartphone transit apps such as NextBus. All buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts and bike racks. View AC transit maps and timetables.
We recommend using public transit or taxi service as parking options around campus are limited and expensive. The closest available lot for paid daytime public parking is the Stadium Parking Garage (also known as the Maxwell Garage). Some campus garages are available for non-permit holders after 5:00 PM. Read more about visitor parking.
If you are parking on the street, please read signs and meters carefully for restrictions.